· The meeting was called to order by Joanne Fishlin
· Fourteen (14) members attended the meeting including 5 officers, 1 teacher liaison, 7 parent members, and 1 principal.
President’s Report- Amy Gatchell
· Joanne Fishlin reported that the Math Bee will begin on April 5th. It will be a quick process of only one week and it is important to get the students excited about it. More details will follow and the committee is still looking for volunteers to help.
· Box Tops are going well. The school just received a check for $1,143.97. Some of that amount is from last year’s drive. There is a new bulletin board up in the lobby that shows each classes progress. The winning class at the end of the year will get a prize.
· Skate night, which is usually held in January, has been moved to April. The O’Brien rink sets the dates for the Skate Night. Jen Keenan is the coordinator for Skate Night.
· Child Care is still needed for meetings. Donna Skeffington will keep in touch with the Joyce about any potential volunteers. A parent member mentioned she has a niece at the Joyce and would talk to her.
Treasurer’s Report- Donna Skeffington
· Donna questioned who receives the money from the 5th Grade float prize. Should it go back to the PTO or should the 5th Grade keep it. Mrs. Mills would like the money to go to the 5th Grade in an effort to reduce the chance of more fundraising on their part.
Principal’s Report- Mrs. Mills
· Mrs. Mills has met with the Woburn Police Department and the other Principals in Woburn, going through every building assessing safety measures. Chief Ferullo will be coming to The Hurld School PTO Meeting next month to discuss safety at the school.
· A Lockdown drill will be happening at the school.
· There is work to install bolts on all doors at the school. Mrs. Mills also noted there is increased scrutiny of who comes into the building.
· A member asked about a notes going home to explain the lockdown procedures. Mrs. Mills made note.
Enrichment Update- Mary Tramonte
· Amazing Hero Art was a great success. The performer swapped one of the pictures for us, from his previous show. The teachers had expressed they wished different pictures were made. Mrs. Hooper notes that it was more commercialized than before.
· Historical Perspectives is coming on January 18th with a presentation about Ben Franklin.
· Magic of Maps coming next month.
· Mary is still waiting to hear about $2700 in grants. All other grants have been denied.
· A member asked if the grants were a result of the economy. Mrs. Mills explained that some grants are given based on the number of free or reduced lunches that the school provides.
· Mary noted that the Target Grant was denied and the TD Bank grant will be decided next month.
· The Hurld is on the waiting list for MWRA programs. We should be able to get in next year. There is an MWRA writing contest that will be posted in the teacher’s lounge.
· January cookies table will be held on the 24th. It is hosted by the 3rd Grade.
· Member asked for help on cookie table days. Mrs. Mills will provide the rest of that dates so parents can arrange schedules to help out.
· Kate Walsh asked the membership to look over last month’s Meeting Minutes. If there are any questions, let her know.
· Next meeting is February 5th and will feature Chief Ferullo from the Woburn Police Department.
· Motion to adjourn by Kate Walsh, Seconded by Joanne Fishlin. Meeting adjourned at 8PM.